Friday, December 25, 2009

How do I get my grandaughter to stop throwing fits when her parents come to pick her up after work?

My grandaughter always wants to stay at my house, or prefers to being with me instead of going home with her parents after they get off work, or any other time I babysit her. She screams, cries,and throws a temper fit. I love her dearly, and I hate to see her get into trouble when she acts this way. She is only two and I've babysat her since the day she was born. Any advice? Thank you.How do I get my grandaughter to stop throwing fits when her parents come to pick her up after work?
tell her panerts they need to make it fun for her to go home. let her know when she goes home she will get to play a fun game with mom and dad or get a speacial ttreat with mom and dad. She probably doesnt want to go home cause there is not as much fun or cuddle time as with you. You sound like a wonderful grandma shes lucky to have you.How do I get my grandaughter to stop throwing fits when her parents come to pick her up after work?
it would help if the parent had something exciting to encourage her...like saying lets go home and have a nice dinner....or lets go home and play with our puppy......maybe you can encourage them to do this
This is very sad. She views you, of course, as her mother, and it is traumatic for her to leave you. Babies are designed by evolution to be terrified of separation from mommy. The brain floods with cortisol, causing depression, anxiety, and lowering the iq.





Why on earth is she getting in trouble for being upset as any child would be when having to leave her mother? Doesn't your granddaughter's mother get what she has done to her daughter? Why is she blaming her daughter?????





This is a disaster and the only fix is for your granddaughter's mother to actually start raising her.





What you all are doing to the child, while very generous and well-meaning of you, is tearing her up inside. How very sad for this baby.
Start to tell her ahead of time when Mom and Dad are gonna come and get her. So she can finish up things she still planned to do at your house. Its nice to know a little ahead of time most of us appreciate that and Im sure she will too. Maybe she thinks its too abrupt a change in her day.
My granddaughter is the same age and she sometimes will act up too when its time for her to leave. I usually just tell her that I'm so tired, that I need to go to sleep so that I can have lots of energy to play tomorrow. Sometimes she even ';tucks'; me in. Of course, I get up after she leaves, but she is none the wiser.
Sounds like the last three sentences are the problem. She does not know her parents and likes you best.
My daughter did this to her grandmother all the time starting at age 4, my mother had to start bringing her to my house and finally had to tell her that if she did not stop having these fits that she could not come to her house anymore.





**My mother kept her on the weekends so I could get some rest, since I was pregnant at the time. My daughter is 6 now and sometimes still throws fits like this, but my mom just walks away from her now**
She's a little young to understand, but try giving her something that she knows is grandma's, A teddy or soft toy would be ideal. Ask her to take it home because it needs a hug and sleep, and stress that she has to take care of it until the next day when she returns. Hopefully your grand-daughter will catch on that you'll be in the same place, waiting for her. Though it does seem like she's following two different sets of rules, at your house, and at her parents. Maybe you could discuss this, or maybe she just loves her grandma to bits ! Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment