Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can having a cheating parent at a young age cause you to feel insecure in your marriage?

My mother had my younger brother with someone other than my dad when I was only ten years old. Even though I got over it eventually, sometimes I wonder if that is why I feel so insecure in my marriage because I fear my husband will do the same thing to me. I don't know if I could bear that again. Has anyone ever had this problem and what can you do to overcome it?Can having a cheating parent at a young age cause you to feel insecure in your marriage?
Stop Whining, Start Living


http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Stop-Wh鈥?/a>





Bad Childhood--Good Life: How to Blossom and Thrive in Spite of an Unhappy Childhood


http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Bad-Chi鈥?/a>Can having a cheating parent at a young age cause you to feel insecure in your marriage?
I think that it can yes. What we see as children and what we are exposed to affects us as adults. You can take it one of two ways, you can let it affect you negatively or positively. You can always be worried that he will be cheating, or you can have faith in your man and your marriage, and in the choice that you made in a husband.





I was around a lot of negative things growing up, drug use, infidelity, gambling addictions, trouble with the law. It took a lot of realizing that just because I knew it happened it didn't mean it was going to happen to me.





As for overcoming, it can be as simple as just working past on your having faith in your marriage, or it can take therapy and having someone to talk to about what you went through in your youth. You say you got over it, but if you are having these insecurities, you still have a part of your that is not completely past what your mother did.
yes it can make you feel insecure cause when a parent cheats, they are not only cheating on the spouse, they are cheating on the whole family. It's hard to trust after that. I t took me years to build trust for my husband and it was hard at times and it is fragile now. counseling would prob be best.
I think that yes, it can have an effect on your marriage, but only if you let it. ;) You seem to know that there's that chance, so you are aware of it.


Just be sure not to punish him for something that he hasn't done or ';might'; do.. ya know? Communication is good, too. Maybe you should talk to your hubby about how you're feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment