Sunday, January 17, 2010

Is it bad for parents to let kids believe in mythical holiday figures?

Is it okay to let them enjoy the fantasy while they are very young? There are some parents who think it's wrong to ';lie'; to their children - do their kids ';miss out';?Is it bad for parents to let kids believe in mythical holiday figures?
I think it's wonderful that kids can for at least the first few years of their lives believe in some things that are magical. I didn't care when my parents told me that Santa and everything else wasn't real. I had been suspecting it but I never got mad because they lied to me.





Lots of parents tell their kids white lies. I will let my kids believe in all of those mythical holiday figures, because the rest of their lives they will be stuck in the very unmagical real world.Is it bad for parents to let kids believe in mythical holiday figures?
My own answer: One of my friends growing up had parents who though it was bad to ';lie'; to them. He grew up to be kind of a ';downer'; person who doesn't have much imagination. He's the kind of person who acts intellectually superior to others. Nice job, parents.

Report Abuse



Do you know anybody who resents his/her parents for ';lying'; to him/her about Santa or the Easter Bunny or whoever? I don't.





On the other hand, I personally remember the excitement of waiting for these mythical figures. I don't think of it as having been lied to. Those good memories of excitement and anticipation balance any disappointment I had in figuring out it wasn't real.





I think it's more of a disservice to a child to be painfully honest with him/her and miss out on that excitement.
That's a tough one. On the one hand, 'lying' to the child sets them up for disappointment when the myth is revealed, and perhaps teaches that lying is ok...and that 'grown ups' do it.


On the other hand, shared cultural myths are teaching tools that can educate children to the culture around them, and help them to 'fit in', regardless of whether you label those myths good or bad.


If I had kids, I think I would let them enjoy the magic and the fantasy. After all that's what being a kid is all about- everything is alive and 'real'. I think taking that away by being totally 'honest' makes for some very dull kids, and maybe even cripples their ability to be creative later in life, who knows?
Yes, I believe it is bad. Especially in this day and age. A child looks to his parents for guidance and security. They will believe anything you tell them. Learning when they are 8 or 10 years old that Santa isn't real or that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist does breach the 'trust' factor. What else has mom and dad taught me that is a lie?





I think that if you tell them right up front that these characters aren't real, that they are a story and that it's fun to pretend, then fine, you are giving them the truth and letting them have fun at the same time. There are many ways to have 'fun' with your children that don't require a...ahem...'white lie' .... I like that term, white lie, it somehow makes a 'lie' okay, since it's a small, harmless lie....





If you want your children to grow up and believe in fairy tales, turn them on to politics... (sorry, had to ad that)
Yes the kids do miss out.


The mythical figures gives children reassurance about the world.


Especially the world there growing up in nowadays they need something to believe in.
you should let your kids believe in them and should encourage them because most of the holiday figures teach good morals and mostly a good way of understanding things like why they should obey their parents and other things like that
there nothing wrong withh it, everyone finds out the truth sooner or later, some take it harder then others...but really, when u founf out there was no tooth fairy, did u run home and call ur parents liers??? lmfao
I think it's fine. All the kids nowadays are crazy. Taking away simple things kinds have to look forward to all yr, will shatter their innocence.
i think every kid should have imagination some of these imaginary characters r there heroes and every kid should have a hero even if its imaginary take it from someone who never did have a hero
well let those parents take all the fun and enjoyment that most kids get to have.......i dont think its wrong once the kids find out that its not real then they grow out of it .....
The motto in our house is ';If you don't believe you don't recieve';!!!
the creatures can install catholic values into young children
  • revlon
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment