Saturday, January 23, 2010

What do you think the parents role in piano tution should be?

Should they be involved in there child's practicing and reviews etc?





I have to do an essay on parental roles in piano tuition and am stuck about were to start.





Any ideas?What do you think the parents role in piano tution should be?
The parents role is vital in piano tuition. All children need encouragement to practise an instrument, even if they are totally passionate about it. There are so many distractions and also so many other pressures for children these days, particularly as they get older and have more homework and exams to think about. Parents also need to be willing to pay for lessons and music books, as well as exams if necessary. They are also probably needed as a taxi service to get them to and from lessons. And they need to be very understanding at the times when the child says that they want to give up lessons, which will happen at some point, usually when it all gets too difficult. At that point they need to encourage, be open and talk about it. Children deserve to have the chance to chop and change hobbies - how else can they 'dabble' in different things to find the thing they truly love doing? Good luck with your essay.What do you think the parents role in piano tution should be?
I pay for my daughter's piano lessons and help her with practice when she needs it. I often sit in on the lesson. I don't say anything, but I am in the room. However, the teacher is a very good friend of mine and that makes a difference. I probably wouldn't sit in on the lessons if we weren't good friends. In that case, though, I would want occasional reports from the teacher as to how my daughter is doing.





I believe that parents need to very involved in their children's education, both school and things like piano lessons.
I am a private piano instructor and I wish that parents were more involved in their child's practicing and lessons. I wish that the parents would ask me how their child is doing so I could update them on what the student is learning and what they need to work on. Many of the younger students have difficulties focusing and cooperating, so I wish their parents would ask me about their behavior instead of me having to tell them that there are problems. The parent doesn't have to sit in on the lessons, but asking about what the child is learning and making sure that they practice enough is really helpful.
Beyond the basics of paying for the lessons, getting them there, and buying the needed supplies, parents need to ensure quiet practice time, encourage the child to slow down when frustrated, make recitals a family priority. Parents need to make sure the teacher they choose doesn't have such a strict plan that the child isn't choosing any of the music played. The child will play longer if they have a say in what they play.
Obviously:


Paying for them


Taking and collecting the child


Providing music books when needed


Paying for/taking to exams.


Providing instrument that is tuned and maintained properly.





But these are just the least you should expect from a parent.





A supportive parent should ensure the child undertakes practise by setting up a home routine where practice time is built in in a constructive way - otherwise what's the point of continuing with lessons?


Monitoring progress by listening regularly - praising child and acknowledging success.


Liasing with tutor - either via practice book or verbally to check that the child/tutor is happy.





What they definately shouldn't do is force practice or public performance when the child doesn't want to, because that'll make the child resentful. Or, what my mother used to do, - sing along to every song/piece being learnt - although her response when I complained was 'that it'd be a sad day for me when her voice was still' - guess she's right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment