Thursday, January 21, 2010

How can I attract parents to choose my home childcare for their kids?

I am a loving stay at home mom that fully understands the pressure and difficulty in finding quality childcare, and want to help in the community. I was really frightened by all the childcare facilities that I checked out and now chose to stay home with my own child, but would love to watch another to help and make a little extra income. How can I get my name out there?How can I attract parents to choose my home childcare for their kids?
Hello:





Well at first,you may have to contact your local DHS (Department of Human Services) in your community just to see whether or not you might need a license. The only reason I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing this is that the parents know that you are licensed and you are meeting all of the DHS strict codes for doing childcare out of your home.





I would advertise all over the place in your local newspaper,all over your community with flyers with your name and phone number on the flyers and letting people know that you are a very qualified person that would love to take care of their precious children in your own home.





I would tell the parents that you have an,';Open Door Policy,';where they can stop by anytime of the day to check on their children. Usually if a child care provider doesn't have an open door policy for their day care,the parents won't feel comfortable taking their children there because that is reason for concern and suspicion.





If you really want to do this out of your home,it would be a VERY GOOD IDEA to make up a little contract that you sign and the parent(s)sign and date so they know what you do and don't provide,your fees for childcare service,your illness policy,and your emergency information about who you will be able to contact if you cannot reach mom or dad.





Depending on the age group that you are interested in taking care of,I would post an activities schedule such as go to the park on monday,go for a picnic on tuesday,etc... This way no matter what the age of the child is,the parents will see that you will be active and not setting the children in front of the t.v. all day.





I would also post what your schedule will be like for your day care and post it where the parents can clearly see it. Examples:





Meet and Greet Children and Parents





Check Diapers take children to potty/wash hands





Breakfast





Circle Time





Morning Snack





Arts and Crafts Time





Outside time





Come inside wash hands and faces





Lunch Time





Nap Time/Quiet Time





Change Diapers/Take children to the potty





Afternoon Snack





Outside Time





Story Time





Children get ready to go home





You can always adjust your schedule to the children's needs,but when children and parents know what your schedule is like,they will see that you have lots of fun things planned to do outside and inside with the kids.





I would also have a biters policy where if a child bites X amount of times he/she will be disenrolled. It may sound harsh but alot of parents don't think this is a very big deal and it is! I have seen toddlers who have bitten another child and aside from the teeth marks on the child's skin,there has been chunks of flesh taken out too.





Good Luck and contact your local DHS department as they can inspect your home to make sure that it is safe for children and ready to go,and you can also get a federally funded food program for the children in your child care program.How can I attract parents to choose my home childcare for their kids?
Many communities or states have a program that will actually license you to be an at home child care provider. I'm not sure where you go through though. Go over what you did not like about the places you looked at and then make sure you go in the opposite direction. I know one major thing that parents look for is that their child will get enough individual attention, so make sure to advertise the fact that you will only be watching a few kids so as to provide them with enough care and attention. And let parents know they are free to drop in at any time of day to visit with their child. I know a lady in my community that is in high demand to take care of children, the main thing she does is treat the kids she watches the same as she treats her own, if they have a birthday she has a small party, if they misbehave she disciplines, if they are hurt or sad she nurtures, and you often see her out and about at parks and playgrounds with the kids.
I would suggest making flyers and putting them up in local grocery stores, pharmacies, children stores etc and making a free website online to put at the bottom of the page. On that website I'd descibe a little about myself and a little more detail about your service. I'd also check to see what your local home childcare facilities laws and regulations are so you can set your guidlines and enrollments.


Best wishes, Mary





http://www.geocities.com/maryaskmenow/AskAway.html
  • revlon
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment