Sunday, January 17, 2010

Do i need my parents permission to buy a horse?

I'm 16 years old and i am ready to own a horse of my own and i have one picked out and can afford everything. I was just wondering if i needed my parents permission to buy the horse or not.Do i need my parents permission to buy a horse?
I don't know if legally you need permission at 16, but I do strongly advise you speak to your parents about it. Even if you can afford everything right now, something might happen and you may find yourself in a situation where you need a bit of financial help.





Also, if I was selling a horse I definitely would not sell to a teenager who didn't have her parents with her!Do i need my parents permission to buy a horse?
Yes, I would run it by them. If you should run into financial trouble they are probably going to be the ones to bail you out. Just make sure you can afford the up keep as well as the horse (the horse is the cheap part).
Troll Eating Mule speaks the truth.





If someone tried to sell my daughter (17) a horse without my knowledge...oh it would be so very ugly, I'd be reported for threats and profanity and all that other stuff if I even tried to share what would happen...





The wise and mature thing to do would be to include them in your decision.





The youthful- have-to-prove - something- even -if- I'm- wrong thing to do would be to do it on the sly.





I don't know you, your personality, or anything about you, so that's not a slam about your character. I sure as heck was bent that way as a teen, and I remember how it was.





Experience has taught me better, though, because just telling me didn't work...many many times.
Legally speaking, the sad truth is that anything you ';own'; your legal guardians actually own if you're under 18. Even if you can find someone who'd sell you a horse at your age, your parents will technically own it and can do whatever they like with it (including, of course, selling it). If you don't work it out with your folks ahead of time, you are heading down a really rough road for both you and the animal.
i dint think so but i think u should probably run it by them before you take any actions. Good Luck
How will you feed and house this horse? What if the horse gets sick; who will pay the VET bill? If you are living at home, then do as your parents want done. If you are away from home and supporting yourself, not asking your parents for anything, then do what you want and buy the horse.





Sounds to me like you need your parent's permission. So the answer is YES.
A 16 year old is not old enough to legally enter into a contract, so no, you can't do it legally.


I know of NO 16 year-old who can afford the monthly minimum of $400 for the care, feeding, vet bills, farrier costs, unexpected and routine veterinary costs, and incidentals like supplements, fly spray, fly masks, and dewormer, not to mention wear and tear on tack, and grooming supplies. Add lessons or showing costs, and the bill EASILY reaches $1000 a month.


I also know of no RESPONSIBLE horse owner who would sell a horse to a 16 year-old (regardless of the legal ramifications) without the endorsement of the parents and a guarantee from them that the horse will be cared for properly.


Wait until you are at least 18, and spend the next two years learning as much as you can, preferrably from a professional, about the responsibilities and knowledge you must have prior to owning a horse. Anything less than that isn't fair to the horse and very well may be very dangerous for you.
It depends, who is the seller? Also, are you sure you are ready for a horse? Do you have adequate (sp?) space, including a stall to keep him/her in and plenty of land to graze in (I recomend 1 acre of land per horse). If it is a horse to ride, then you will need to purchase tack, add in an extra $1,000 to the horse for good quality tack.





Do you have enough to pay for vet bills when needed, deworming and other vaccinations? Regular farrier visits are also nessecary to keep the hooves clean and comfortable.





Cleaning supplies are needed to groom your horse, such as brushes, and a hoof pick.





Horses are also a huge commitment, and can live into their 20s and some into their 30s. Are you prepared to spend this much time with a horse, who will live out many dogs and cats lives?





PLUS: the weekliy%26amp;daily chores with a horse include: cleaning the stall/pasture area of waste, feeding and watering the horse daily.


The cheapest quality feed I have found is about $7 per bag. And hay should be fed everyday as well.





If you and your parents have taken everything into consideration and have decided that a horse is right for you, then go for it, they make wonderful pets!
I agree wish I could have a horse. I think you should at least talk it over with your parents see what they think. Remember to expand on the fact you can afford everything. You're 16 so you are old enough to care for a horse on your own. You can go to the stable every day if you have a car or can use your parents car. (or take bus ect) So I think you should make sure your parents know about this desision but I don't think they have to agree.
If you got the money to buy and support a horse, why would your parents say no ?


I know you really want a horse, just be smart about it. Don't go out and get a horse if there is a chance your parents are going to make you sell it. That would suck more then never having a horse
well I'm 17 %26amp; I sold my Ella last summer and a 16 year old turned up wanting to buy her, I told her to jog on because young people offen loose interest in horses %26amp; I didn't want someone my age looking after her alone if that houses current owners don't do the same they need their head checking.
yes you do.. if you are keeping it on your property, deffinatly. if you are boarding it, you need to ask to.. will you have enough money to board it month after month after month? i would deffinatly talk about it with your parents, let them see the horse, watch you ride it, talk about the financial stuff, ect.
yes....do you have a job to take care of vet bills and all the feed for how ever many yrs.... you may be able to afford everything now.....but anything can happen.....we just done paying a 1200 dollar vet bill that was unexpected.... that was cheap compared to what it could have been... .. you live under their roof and the animal will be on their property.... of course you need their permission!
As long as you are a minor, YES. Further, to prevent any problems, no matter your age, it is good to have an agreement with them.
I would think so. You have to be 18 to sign any kind of contract. I would assume that you would need to board the horse somewhere...that would entail a contract. If you plan to keep the horse at home I would think parental permission would be needed for that as well.
Technically- no.





-If you have the money in CASH you certainly dont need permission.


-But before you buy, make sure you already have paid arragements made at the barn you are going to board at.


-Also be sure you have transportation for the horse.





I know you said you can afford everything so here is a check list type thing:


-Board money


-Horse money


-Feed money [unless the barn supplies it]


-Farrier money


-Vet bill money


-And whatever tack and brushes you need





I hope you get your horsie! But the truth is if you have an open relationship with your parents I would just tell them.
Yup. If they are your legal guardians you will need them. Most owners will need the parents to sign something before you buy the horse. When you are 18 you can get a horse alone. It will be better to have your parents consent anyway. What if something goes wrong? It will all be on your shoulders and your parents won't really be able to do much.





鈼忊棌Best Wishes!
yes
I think you should get their permission first.


Some parents freak out if their kid just brought home a new puppy, so what if you came home telling them you just bought a horse? They need more responsibility and attention.


So try talking to them first, maybe? And tell them youve got everything planned out.


--%26gt;Good Luck. :D
Yes!!!, yes, yes, yes...! Do you seriously have 500$ a month for a horse?? will you always be able to pay for the vet bills?? where will you keep it??...ASK your parents...
YES
You're not old enough to sign a binding contract. Therefore if you're going to board the horse you need your parents to sign the board papers for you, so yes, you need your parents permission.





Not to mention the sale papers on the horse if the seller requires that. They're probably not going to sell a horse to a minor for legal reasons.
All I can say is, I wouldn't sell you a horse of mine without your parents permission.





Your not legally of age until 18 and your parents could technically make you sell that horse. So my concern and responsibility is placing a horse in a home that needs to be as forever as possible.





I might deal with you, but I would expect your parents to be there at signing.





To answer your question, your parents have the utmost control over your actions,, if your horse is boarded on their property, it hurts someone and they sue, its their homeowners insurance that pays.
of course u do


u may be able to afford it now


but think of the insurance


vets bills


shoeing


up keep


and all the hidden costs


at 16 i dnt expect u could afford all that


u would be silly not to ASK them
Yes I think you do need permission to buy a horse because your parents might not like you buying it and you will either get punished or they wont let you keep it and you will be really disapointed so you really get permission first.
NO !! I bought a filly a few onths ago and Im 15 as long as the owners are okay with it. You also need to put it in your name. but then again I may just be lucky.lol
well i would check with them and see if they are ok with it. otherwise it could create hard feelings and they might get angry with you. you should probably get their permission but it up to you.
Uh, of course. I don't care how competent you think you are. A 16 year old cannot handle the costs of a horse by themselves.
Are you living under their roof? Is your existance being supported by them (ie...are they feeding you, clothing you, transporting you....)? If so, then yes, you do need their permission. Besides that, you say you can afford everything. What happens if the horse colics? It's not too hard for an emergency vet bill to go over $200.....and if they wind up having to go to surgery, you can bank on around $5K....whether the horse lives, or dies. You say you can afford everything....can you afford that? Now, if you're emancipated, living totally on your own, then you don't need their permission.
yes you have to be 21 to own something and you need to mack sure you sign the owership form your parets might need to also so i think you shod tack your parents with you
Legally, no you don't need anyone's permission. If you can afford to buy and keep the horse then it's up to you. I would strongly suggest you at least get the support of your parents as it is a massive commitment and responsibilty and if it's your first time owning a horse at 16 then you will need as much support as possible. Good luck x


Ps. I am in the UK and going my UK laws and regulations

No comments:

Post a Comment