Friday, January 15, 2010

How to convince my parents to let me get a cat?

I know there have been some similar questions but mine is a little different.





My parents (mainly dad) dont want me to get a cat because we live near the bush, though I want an indoor cat (I also have a bell for its collar).





The other reason is that he reckons they stink, but after posting a question on here about that it seems thats only there breath, when there sick, etc.





What should I say to convince him, he keeps saying, ';when you get your own house';, but it isnt really like he is going to have to do anything for it.





The other reason they have is it is bad for it to be inside all the time, but I think if there are toys for it to play with %26amp; me home like 6 hours a day it shouldn't really be a big deal.





So any ideas how else to convince him?How to convince my parents to let me get a cat?
hey there.





I think the idea about building an enclosure that is joined onto one of the windows of your house is about your best solution. It doesnt have to be huge, and if you make it tall enough so that you could fit inside it, you could even teach your cat to use the outside as a toilet, and you would just go in every now and then and sift out the poop. This would solve almost all of the worry about the cat ';stinking'; and solve your problem with your dad worrying about the bush. You can also tell your dad that the cat wouldn't be indoors all the time (which is unhealthy, according to him!). In fact, your cat would probably spend most of his time in his ';garden'; lazing in the sun while you are at school.





As this solves what seems to be most of his arguments, maybe even ask him if he could help you build it (a nice bonding experience for the both of you!) The other girls suggestion that you would get a job to pay for its sterilization etc is also a good idea, as you are willing to make sacrifices for your pet and are willing to take on added responsibility.





My father never has liked cats, but I managed to convince him on two occasions. The one cat even ended up sleeping on his feet when I wasn't home! If you can convince him initially, I think he will warm up to the animal.





Also maybe mention that indoor cats live an average of 15 years, as opposed to 3 years for cats who are allowed to roam indiscriminately. This means that your cat could still be yours by the time you are 30! So it's not going to be in his home forever!





If you are getting a puppy, I reccommend that if you can convince your dad, get your cat soon - also, get a kitten that is at least 6 months old already because a german sheppard puppy is quite big and very boisterous, it could easily injure a kitty that is any younger - even if it's playing. An older kitty will be able to jump away when pup is getting annoying.





Ok, one last thing - I promise! As far as the stinking thing goes, here is an interesting fact. Cats in the wild generally hunt alone (barring lions) - their saliva is actually a deoderant that neutralises scent so that they are able to creep up on their prey. Dogs on the other hand, hunt in packs. They have quite a strong scent which they use by having some of the pack go up-wind and drive the prey towards those waiting down-wind. SO, your puppy is gonna smell way worse than a new kitty!





Good luck and let us know if you manage to convince him.How to convince my parents to let me get a cat?
Well --i don't know what his real objection is--but it may be that he does not like cats--some people are that way. You need to convince him that you REALLY want one. But more important--that you will care for the cat. This may be his REAL concern. You must tell him how reliable and mature you have been--and that you can handle the responsibility. Tell him that you agree to do this--and if you don't at his word the cat goes. The most important thing to do (or not do) that will turn him off (and what he may be concerned about)is the litter box. Tell him that you will change it twice a day. Tell him there are now kinds of litter that really stop the smell.





As far as inside kitties--most vets recommend that all kitties be inside only kitties. This is healthier for them. And they really do not miss going outside. Tell him this to counter his argument on the issue.





Good luck!!





I really hope you can get a kittie.
i dunno maybe u should beg him and promise that u will take a gud care of the cat..but if it doesnt work...i dunno...juz buy a cats and hide it...hahaha...
get a mouse...
im 14 too..and i have 4 dogs..2 outside and 2 inside...and i have one inside cat...and 2 outside..i live in the country..but i told my mom that she wouldnt have to do anything for my cat and i would get a job to take care of her(my cat)...after a week i got a job..i babysit now..and my mom told me i had to get enough money to get shots and get my cat fixed as soon as i got her..so i did..i got the money i needed then she got me my cat..and i had to buy, a litter box, food, food bowl and water bowl...the toys..and all that other stuff..and im still working and i still have my cat..so mayb if u tell ur parents that u will get a job and everything..that u will pay for ur cat and u will take care of him/her...good luck!!!:)
Go out %26amp; get you an alligator your parents will let you trade it for a cat
I have had cats since I was 13 (I'm 21 now), and they have always been outdoor cats...until this past spring when a stray had a litter in my backyard. My dad is so against keeping pets inside it's not even funny...but I suggested I would keep them(I wanted two of them indoors) in my room while I wasn't at home, and only let them out when I was there...so he actually let me keep them inside. They are the sweetest cats ever, and, so far, they haven't gotten in trouble! I clean the litter box twice a day...and I let them out(if you keep them in your room when you're not at home, they NEED to get out while you're at home), not to mention, you MUST spend as much time as possible a day playing with them...





Anyways, just some thoughts....I hope you get your kitty. They make much pets than dogs, IMO. Dogs do smell, and they jump on you...not to mention they dig huge holes in your yard..LOL. My beagles have dug holes so deep, I can only see them from neck up when they sits in it...haha
Me, I found it wasn't worth it. But I did get a cat the next day after I moved out to my rented flat.





What age are you? Are you only home 6 hours a day? Or that is not counting nights?





Cats do need less maintenance than dogs (no walks! most stick to the litterbox, or can even be taught to use the toilet seat!), but they do need attention. Littebox cleaning (I practice that twice a day), grooming, playing with the cat (I mean playing with toys, where the cat can get exercise), petting the cat... claw clipping or softpaws (to prevent furniture destruction), scratch post training... Cat food _is_ smelly (well, that's additives to make it more appetizing to cats), and so is cat waste (both solid and liquid) - there are solutions to such smells, but they need attention, experimentation, and some money.


Vet bills...





And when you do move to your own house, what _will_ happen to the cat? Cats get attached to the house, to the territory - they can survive a move, but it may cause problems, up to and including serious depression. Are you going to move out and live the cat to your parents? If you go to a college dorm where pets aren't allowed - what would happen then?





Don't get me wrong, I am very very very happy with having a cat - and I can take care of him on my terms and not bothering anybody else. If your parents don't want a cat in their house... and they are convinced about it... I think you may consider respecting their decision.





ADD: Sounds like your father is a dog-person, not a cat-person (or both). That would mean his dislike for cats is honest, I doubt you will be very successful. If you do get a kitten, it may end up like my pet hamster that my mom poisoned while I was at school. She admitted to the crime... some 12 years later. :-/





Anyway, if his objection _is_ primarily the Bush, I would say that cats _can_ be kept inside only, with not all that much trouble. Especially if fixed. But his disliking the cat to sit on him...
dont know....say u ll care it better.
well you could say that it will teach you responsability.
It is their house, so you have to abide by their rules.





Bells dont always work, cats are great at learning to move without making the bells ';tinkle';





One way around it, perhaps, is ...... get (build) a cat enclosure outside. These enclosures can be really big, or even have a series of them with tunnels joining them. They are then outside and can watch the birds and native animals without being able to get to them. If the cat is to be in the enclosure at night, make sure there is a warm, secure, wind proof place for it.
Don't put a bell on your cat.





Let your dad know that if you get a young kitten and raise it by hand in the house, it will love living in the house only and will not stink because it won't be outside.





Good luck!
Hi there, how are you? We have 21 rescued cats here, so trust me on this one. Cats only stink when they are sick, but the stench won't really gag you and destroy your sense of smell, so you can chill about that. HOWEVER, you must make sure they are either neutered or spayed (7 months old) so they won't ';spray'; on your furniture, make sure you have a good kitty litter 'cause all poops stink, of course. As for you being out? Nah! Cats are great pets, give them food, water, vaccinations, spay 'em and give 'em kitty litter and their good. All cats need an amount of affection, but if you're out or busy they re cool about it. (BUT If you do choose a Siamese breed of cat, they will need more affection.) Cats are one of the easiest pets to have, trust me. Anyway if you need more help about cats, their diseases or whatever I'd be glad to help out. Good luck and take care!
get on line, research the answers to all your parents' objections about having a cat (the stink and what to do to prevent it; wild life safety and what to do to prevent kitty from damaging wildlife... etc.). This will show them that you are being responsible in getting a pet by researching the matter and not just impulsively wanting one. You have to silence their fears.





Finally, CRY!
Cats are pretty clean animal - once you have them potty-trained! Explain to your dad, that having a pet is a good way to learn how to be responsible (imagine having to clean up after the cat's mess, feeding, bathing) and that cats are good companion for all generations.





That being said, strike a deal with your dad. For example, you get a good result/do extra house chores - you get the cat. I'm sure you can come up with something :)

No comments:

Post a Comment