Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What would posess a parent to force their child to learn a musical instrument?

Rather than let them select an instrument that they actually want to leran?What would posess a parent to force their child to learn a musical instrument?
Unfulfilled dreams from parents regarding that activity.What would posess a parent to force their child to learn a musical instrument?
Because there are too many guitar players already
My Mother selected my instrument, the Piano Accordian. It was a good choice. Required good coordination between right and left hands, just like a piano. I thought it was a good choice. Kids should learn when they are young and Mama Knows Best.


No one ever regretted learning Music.





I see by the answers that we have a bunch of rebels without a cause here. Good for you lady, Mama knows best and these kids obviously do not have a good relationship with their parents.
To try tell you that they completely control every aspect of your life.
I guess it could be that they learned and instrument and they wish for their child to learn the same instrument. If I ever have children, I'm not going to force them to learn an instrument just because I play one. It'll be their decision, like mine, to learn.
all 3 of my daughters play instrumentS. i forced and now they love it. i forced dance classes and now im forcing riding lessons. i do it to keep them busy and out of the streest. my oldest daughter is 13 and takes college courses, and still believes in santa clause!!!!!!!!!!!! thats why i force activities atleast she never seen the ghetto or gangbangers
It takes a while to master any instrument. By the time the child is any good, they will have changed their minds several times about what they want to play and will not become proficient with any instrument.





Some instruments lead to a better sense of rhythm, understanding, feeling for, and appreciation of music in general. These developed skills will result in any instrument to be more easily learned and played better. An electric guitar player who used to play the violin is much better than one who who didn't.





They have probably already mentioned that most children in the world would be happy to eat every day let alone have the money for music lessons.
A disappointing childhood manifesting itself into the need to live vicariously through ones child.
I was forced to learn the violin as a child.


My Mum did it for that good old reason of never being able to chose to learn a musical instrument herself as a child and was always resentful to her parents for that.


I guess she chose the violin because it is portable, affordable and she probably likes the sound.


I started learning when I was 4 via the Suzuki method and alot of my friends did it too so I suppose she found out about it through her friends. So probably she had social reasons too.


Although I hated having to go to lessons, and being forced to practice too, I actually really enjoyed playing the violin and by the time i was in my teens, I really appreciated that my mum had ';made'; me do it.


I now have an appreciation for music that I think I would never had , I have had the chance to join youth orchestras, meet new people, travel, and entertain myself in quiet times. Music is a joy .

1 comment:

  1. Setting aside whether or not I agree with your forcing. Your grammar and sentence structure is horrible, it looks like several people in the room trying to talk at once, and I had to read and re-read the article several times to understand it, not a good idea if you want people to want to read your stuff.

    ReplyDelete