Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Am I able to file my taxes and be carried by my parents at the same time?

I'm 16 years old, I've been having a job since August. I wanna know if I'm able to file my taxes and have my dad carry me. I don't want it to mess him up in any way though, but I really want to file my taxes because they take a lot outta my check, and since I'm a student I'm supposed to get all of that back. Please help.Am I able to file my taxes and be carried by my parents at the same time?
Sure, you can file, you just can't take an exemption for yourself if your dad can claim you.





You don't necessarily get everything back if you are a student, or because you are only 16. If you make under $5350 you'll get back whatever was withheld for federal income tax - if you make over that, you might get some, but not all, of it back. You might or might not get back some or all of what they took out for state. And you won't get back what was taken out for social security or medicare.





Sicarius and landlord don't know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, a lot of people give answers here even though they don't have knowledge of tax law.Am I able to file my taxes and be carried by my parents at the same time?
Judy knows here stuff! Not everyone here does though, as you have learned.

Report Abuse



The ';student'; they are talking about is college.





High school is paid for by property tax.





You can file, but you can't even claim yourself. You are not likely to get a refund with 0 dependants and no deductions.





Have your dad look it over to make sure you do not conflict with him in anyway.





But, forget about a refund, it isn't happening.
You can file without messing up your dad. There is a place that asks if you are blind, student, etc. You would mark you are a dependent of someone else. This will lead you to the right questions on doing your return. You will not get the personal exemption because your dad gets that but you will get the deduction. So go ahead and file.
No, if you file taxes on your own. You will mess up your dad's. The IRS will require him to manually file it and it will most likely trigger an audit.





Try having your father file yours with his, that way you get the money back and he gets his child credit as well. Or ask him to give you the child credit on top of your share of the return. That is an extra $1,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment