Thursday, May 13, 2010

How should I act in front of my BFs eastern european parents?

I grew up in america so I have the american customs and ways. I didnt want to make a bad impression to my BFs parents so I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to how to be polite to them. They come from Bosnia, which is in eastern europe, the balkans.How should I act in front of my BFs eastern european parents?
act naturally, be nice, polite, modest, don't use cus words and as someone already said pay attention to your clothing, it should not be provocative, short, too tight... good luck ;o)How should I act in front of my BFs eastern european parents?
I would read up on internet the custom of families in Bosnia. I know you should greet them and called them Mr and Mrs XXXX unless they otherwise tell you to call them by their first names, etc. You should treat them as if they were the Queen of England like holding the door open, allowing them to sit down first, they are served first at dinner, etc.





And I would be talking to your boyfriend who is the one who should be guiding you!!!!
It isn't going to be easy. If you wash your hair daily, they will think you are a waster, they will be watching everything that you do. I know, I am married for 34 year to a eastern European. I don't think his mother ever liked me try as I might.


I lived in her home for 6 months in Hungary,after her husband died we wanted to help her around her home. Everything I did was wrong for her. I would wash her clothes and dry them outside, take them in and fold them etc. Not good enough for her. She would say,';my other daughter-in-law is going to iron them for me.';


They will always think you are a spoiled American, as long as your boyfriend likes you, what else do you need. Sorry to sound like a downer but the truth is the truth.
um well here are things to expect at a Bosnak home u probably have 2 take off ur shoes when u get 2 his house ..say hello to his dad ooo here say this ( Dobro Daun) it means good day and greet rest of his family but just get in good with the mom and ur in 2 be honest Bosnak parents have a hard time excepting other races so dont be offended if they dont except u at 1st but they will like u if u work 2 impress them :D goodluck





almost forgot dont ever ever ever ever talk about the past war in Bosnia (they think Americans dont know anything about it )
im from serbia...parents are parents...b nice and polite and dnt make them feel unconfortable...ofc try to b dresses normally which means no low cut shirts or short skirts...dnt insist in showing that ur american and show them u care bout their son


:)
be humble dont be out spokin dont be loud or ubnoctious(lol i cant spell)
I had to smile at one of the answers here as it happens a lot that one person's experience becomes the stereotype for a whole nation!





I am also married to a Bosnian and the same as everywhere every woman and every mother-in-law is different and to be honest that is the best way to approach things.





Don't go there with a mind-set of what is right and wrong. Also don't try and be someone you think they will like. Firstly your true character will shine through so it is better to be up front from the beginning.... afterall, it's what attracted your bf to you and that alone should be enough for his mother (to see her son happy).





Just be respectful and watch what is going on. If in doubt wait to be invited and/or ask your bf.





Remember to take a gift that is personal and shows thought. I took fine Delft china which is typical of the Netherlands (where we both live) and she was over the moon with this :0)..... however I got presents from her and the rest of the family in the form of jewelrry and then my china seemed pretty feeble in comparison!





As I said everyone is different but generally (I had this discussion with several Bosnian %26amp; a Montenegran friends, importance lies around the family and what is best for her family, so she will be interested in you probably to see how you are, and how you act. Show interest - don't be afraid to ask bf to translate (if you don't speak a common language), don't worry, and enjoy yourself.





EDIT - Oh one thing - depending on the religion of your bf and his family If they are bosniak (taking shoes off as mentioned) take care how you greet them. In the Netherlands it is normal to kiss on the cheeks both your mother-in-law and father-in-law but this is a no-no especially with the Bosniak males, so that's a good thing to take into account - just shake hands and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment