Thursday, May 13, 2010

What is something you allow your kids to do that most parents would disapprove of?

What do you allow them to do? Why do you allow them to do it any why do you think most parents are wrong for not allowing it?What is something you allow your kids to do that most parents would disapprove of?
this is going to sound so petty but -- climb up the slide. as long as no one else is trying to go down the slide what is the big friggin deal?What is something you allow your kids to do that most parents would disapprove of?
I allow my boys who are now 11 and 12 to watch any kind of movies except of course XXX rated movies or movies that have alot of sex in them. But as for violence my boys have been watching Blade movies since they were 2 and 3 and have never had any problems. I know people that think I am terrible for allowing that. But oh well for them my kids also aren't afraid of the dark and know that stuff like that isn't real because my husband and I took the time to show them how they do some of those special affects in the horror movies. In fact my 12 year old has always loved scary movies.
When my son and I were at the laundromat a while back, he needed to go to the toilet. The toilets were about a hundred metres away, and he needed to cross a road (using a very safe crossing that we'd used together many times before). I let him go by himself. He made it back just fine. I imagine that would freak a lot of parents out.





Oh, and a few weeks ago, he wanted to find different ways to ride his bike down a short, steep hill. After doing it myself to show him how to keep his weight over the back of the bike so he wouldn't go over the bars when he hit the flat ground at the bottom of the hill, he had a few tries and made it down safely. Even the one time where he messed up his line and clipped his pedal on a rock and I thought for sure he'd come off, he managed to stay on and ride it out. Most parents (and by parents I mean mothers) would have kittens if they'd seen their kids doing that.





Amsam - For the longest time I've had a bug up my butt about not letting my kids ever climb up the slide, but you know what? You're right. As long as there's no kids trying to come down, what's the big deal?
I am the mom of a 15 year old and a 12 year old, both boys. Both boys are well behaved, do well in school and are well adjusted. One of the things my oldest son does that most parents would disapprove of is curse. It's never used in a negative connotation, usually only when he's re-telling something he saw on television, but I don't consider it a big deal, especially not given he's an honors student and an athlete. It's just not a big deal to me and I also feel that it's people who assign negative meaning to those words anyway, they're only words unless you give them meaning. He certainly hears it from me on occasion (and nearly EVERY TV show and movie out there). I figure if the worst thing my son ever does is use a curse word, then I've done a pretty damn good job. Plus he knows better than to use them around anyone but me or his friends, he's respectful of teachers and kids' moms and his grandparents.





I had one teacher get on to him for saying ';freaking';. She said it means the same thing as the other ';f'; word. During the course of the conversation she said ';crap'; and ';shoot'; and I said well, if I was going to use her logic, then she just cursed in front of me!! People are too small-minded and get hung up on things that really don't amount to anything.
I let my two 7 year olds stay up late on the weekends and nights that they don't have school the next day. They usually go to bed between midnight and 1. They always abide with a strict bed time during the week with no complaints, so I figure letting them 2 nights of no bed time is OK. Their grandparents think I'm crazy for letting them do this but I don't care. They are great kids and do great in school. They usually watch a movie, color, or read. I also have a 2 year old, so I also feel like it gives them a little break to do things they like to do without their little sister getting into the middle of it.
I use to have a list of them, but I can't remember many things off the top of my head. ... One of the big ones though is that I allow my daughter to call her father and I by our names. ... She doesn't do it often, but whenever she does I find comfort in knowing that she can say who she belongs to if she ever gets lost. Also, why should she have to call me a name different from what other people do?





It drives her father and some other people crazy. I really don't think it's a big deal. ... I don't think other parents are wrong for insisting that they be called ';mom'; and ';dad.'; That's just how they choose to raise their kids.





On the flip side, I can't stand being called ma'am! Grr, I get so upset when other people tell my daughter she has to say ';yes mam'; to me. I have many names: Michelle, Mom, Mother, Mommy, even ';Unfair Mom';. But mam is NOT one of my names. I am fine with someone who doesn't know my name calling me that. But if you know who I am - please use my name.
I allow my kids to make a lot more of their own decisions than most parents do. They are very young, only 2 and 4, so most people think I am crazy. I usually give them two options for the right answer, so it doesn't matter to me which one they choose. It is a great way to get them to cooperate while still feeling somewhat in control. We avoid a lot of power struggles with this strategy. All parent have the right to make their own decisions as to what is right for their own kids, so I would never say other parent are wrong for disagreeing with me. What works for some may not work for others.
I let my kids miss school for life enriching one time experiences that became available. It usually came with a price of them not being able to make up thier homework though, the kids always had a say in missing school for it or not though.


These are still some of the highlight memories of thier life, Im glad I was able to do it.


It was to go to work with me on some really exciting events that I was working at.
I taught our 4yo Kylie cross the street without help and now she goes alone to the store on the other side of the road. She can be trusted with money, because she knows how to count (to 100). We let her go to bed when she is tired and she doesn't have a bedtime, although most nights she goes to bed at 21:00-21:30. That seems reasonable to us. Kylie has her own cellphone and games and music on it. She can watch every movie she is interested in, regardless of the age recommended in the movie (without plain sexual movies - she is not interested at all). Kylie is allowed to play outside without supervision, because she is not a baby anymore, she can take care of herself while playing. It's not like she is doing something that requires adults. She can stay alone at home for a few hours without blowing the house up or getting kidnapped (in our own house...).


In general, we treat her like a person, not like a teddy bear.
I used to let my son have whatever he want. When he could walk I let him walk around restaurants or stores if he did not want to sit down. People didn't mind though because his skin was either a dark yellow/orange color or he was ';hooked up'; so they knew he was sick. But when he didn't have either, some people did get annoyed, but my son deserved every privilege he received. He went through a lot.
I don't really allow my daughter to do anything that is wrong, however, I hate it when I'm at the mall or a restaurant and you see the kids running around like crazy and screaming and the parents do nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment