Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How many home school graduates/parents are christian?

I know many do it for religious reasons, I was just wondering about the Y!A schoolers. And if you were taught to be christian are you still and how old are you?How many home school graduates/parents are christian?
Nope, I'm not a Christian, and neither is anyone else in my family. There's no religious teaching or influence, of any colour, in our home.





In common with the overwhelming majority of other Aussie home edders, we are home educated purely for 'quality of life' reasons.





Like May points out, the majority of Christians here opt to send their kids to Christian schools. They don't home educate them. Maybe that's different to the situation in America, I don't know. There are certainly differences between levels of religious observance in Australia and America. Where America's is high, ours, as a nation, is low.





Also talk of religious homeschoolers does not necessarily mean talk of Christian homeschoolers. Recent years have seen an exponential growth in the number of Moslem families choosing to home educate.How many home school graduates/parents are christian?
Q: What percentage of homeschoolers are religious?





';Again, we don't know. In the 2007 National Center for Education Statistics survey, 83% of parents said that providing ';religious or moral instruction'; was a reason for their choice to homeschool. While estimates vary widely, most observers acknowledge that conservative Christians constitute the largest subset of homeschoolers in the United States. Whether this percentage is two-third, one-half, or even less of total homeschoolers, what seems beyond dispute is their disproportionate influence on public perception and rhetoric. In particular, the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which identifies itself as a Christian organization, and its state-level affiliates exert strong influence over much of the policy environment surrounding homeschooling.';











So basically it says that no one is exactly sure on the percentage of homeschoolers that are Christian, but that Evangelical Christians have a disproportionate influence on the homeschool agenda.
Azathoth's answer is good. 75% of the US population identifies itself as Christian, so it's safe to assume most home schooling families are Christian. Religion isn't always the only reason they homeschool, there are Christian schools that fill that need. Often it is a secondary reason. The social ills that people see in the schools are influenced by religious beliefs, though a non-Christian family could object to the same problems. If you read answers to controversial questionshere in YA, you will find religion plays a bigger role than people themselves sometimes say publicly. Nothing wrong with that!
Actually, recent studies show that only 17% of homeschoolers do so for religious reasons. Don't lump together Christians that to homeschool, with Christians that homeschools for religious reasons.





I was raised Christian and went to public school. Converted to Wicca in my mid 30's. We've been homeschooling for just over 8yrs now. 20 yr old son is agnostic if anything at this point. 12 yr daughter spent about 6 months last yr exploring Christianity before deciding that for now Wicca is the right choice for her. I actually met most of my pagan friends/parents of my children's friends through secular, inclusive and pagan homeschool groups.
We are an LDS family who decided to homeschool for reasons other than religion.





I mean seriously, look at the public school system, it's all bad news these days, the kids from a very young age are experiencing bullying and peer pressure and just the drama of little kids who think they are mini adults. Leave me out of it.
We are saved, but both my Husband and I went to Public schools as my Parents before me. We decided to homeschool not for religious reasons. We decided to homeschool because I am home fulltime anyways and it makes no sense to send her off to some school when I can teach her at home. I am a retired Teacher.
I am a 28 year old homeschooling mom to two girls. I am a Christian, and homeschool my girls for both religious and non-religious reasons. I think the non-religious reasons far out-weigh the religious reasons at this point. The schools here are terrible. Enough said.
In the states, most homeschoolers are Christian- as are most Americans.





However, I'm not Christian and none of my friends are. (I don't have anything against having Christian friends, it just kind of worked out that none of my friends are religious.)
This question and it's answers are very relevant to your question.





http://www.answers.yahoo.com/question/in…





More people homeschool for religious reasons than say they do. People don't always tell the whole story
Well, I'm a home school grad and will some day be a home schooling parent, but I'm not Christian. I also wasn't taught to be Christian. We homeschooled for educational and lifestyle choice reasons.
I'm a Buddhist and my daughter is too young to have even given such things any thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment