Monday, May 10, 2010

Is it possible to apply for FAFSA and financial aid if my parents don't pay taxes?

My mom doesn't have a source of income and I don't want to get my dad in trouble, but is there some sort of way that I can still apply for financial aid (for UC system) without tax income return forms? I have my dad's pay stubs which he gets every 2 weeks too if that helps. He hasn't filed taxes in over 10 years btw.Is it possible to apply for FAFSA and financial aid if my parents don't pay taxes?
Unfortunately you're in a rock and a hard place. Without your parents taxes you cannot file for FAFSA. Your dad would need to go back and file ~ which will open a can of worms with the IRS for him and possibly for you too. I am going to guess he probably owes back taxes, penalties and interest.





The hold up is going to be on the question, did your parents complete their 2007 federal income tax return (if you are doing the 08-09 FAFSA) and any answer other than 'already completed' will cause your application to not process.





FAFSA and the IRS cross reference each other. The fact that dad has not filed would send up red flags.





Have you talked to dad about the situation? Is he willing to go get some taxes done?





I would hate to see that his irresponsibility is going to put the brakes on your education.Is it possible to apply for FAFSA and financial aid if my parents don't pay taxes?
Are your parents divorced?


If they are, then you can just use your mom's info and put zeros when it asks about income.


If they're married though, then you cannot fill out the FAFSA unless you have your dad's information. If you put his information without having his tax returns, then that will get him in huge trouble with the IRS.


Unfortunately, that means that you won't be able to get any form of aid. Even most scholarships want to see your FAFSA because many are at least partly based on need.
The person above me is right. Your dad's irresponsibility is going to make it hard, if not impossible to get money from fafsa.





Normally I would suggest calling FAFSA, but that's just going to throw up red flags.





At this point the only thing I could foresee helping would be to get your parents to emancipate you so that you can file as an independent.
you don't need tax return forms, just w2

No comments:

Post a Comment