Monday, May 10, 2010

How to convince my parents I'm serious this time?

I need to become vegetarian. I care about animals, and meat always makes me feel tired and drowsy.


I tried to be vegetarian a few years ago, and I didn't stick with it for very long... I didn't even last a day.


But I have grown up a lot since then, and I will stick with it this time.


How do I go about telling them about it?How to convince my parents I'm serious this time?
ha ha ha.. a day..





okay you need to cut back slowly.. ask for smaller portions of meat or somes none.. it will be very hard for your mom to cook special meals for you.. so you should offer to cook some of your own food





have FREE RANGE eggs instead of regular battery hen eggs.. chickens are probably the cruelest raised animals of them all..How to convince my parents I'm serious this time?
im a vegitarian and my parents hated it at first. if you prove to them that you can stick with it , they should have no objections. make sure that you make a point that your VERY serious about this, and if they are loving parents, they will understand. i tried and failed once but you just keep trying. i have been meat-free for almost two years now. YEAH! veggies rock. if you need some good meat free dishs, i would recommend stir fry veggies with a teriaki sauce. it is SOOO good. i eat it like twice a week. good luck on your meat-free quest!
I feel uncomfortable giving advice to someone who has ';anorexia'; in their user name.





The only advice I can give you is to have you and your parents meet with a dietician.





If anorexia is involved in your situation, nobody here should be telling you anything except see a doctor.
Well, good for you for trying again. The first thing that I would do is research. Why are people vegetarians....figure out exactly why you want to become vegetarian. Is it only your love of animals? Or is it Environmental reasons? Dietary?





This way, you will have a more solid base for your choice when you speak with your parents. Research nutrition and protein and how much you need and tell them that you are serious.





If the last time you didn't even last a day, they may not take you seriously this time, it also means that the reasons you were trying to be a vegetarian were not solid.





Take slow, if it is really hard, go vegetarian 1-2-3 times a week, maybe convince your family to do it with you? Don't give up...the more veggies the better :)





good luck





EDIT: Don't listen to comments like ';if the smell of BBQ makes you hungry don't bother'; I am vegan, I like the smell of BBQ, it brings me back to my cottage as a kid, and I still eat BBQ'd veggie burgers....





Remember not to judge yourself harshly, what you want to do is personal and a good choice...if you struggle, then struggle, you will achieve your goal if you are a determined!
I believe whole heartedly in vegetarianism.





however, your user name raises some red flags..





your #1 priority should be dealing with your anorexia.


to gain weight you MAY need to still have some meat, because vegetarian/vegan diet can be so HEALTHY that it may be hard to gain.





AFTER you're at a healthy weight, and with a dietitian's supervision, then you can focus on being a vegetarian..





BUT GET HELP or you will die.. if you want to go veg, it should be under the supervision of a dietitian, as YOU should be, period, based on your condition.
if you need help to become a vegitarian then see a nutritionist. your parents and everyone you know will continue to eat meat, so its very hard for them to understand how you feel.





I know people who are vegetarians and they cant even stand the smell of meat cooking. This often means having to leave during dinners.





Thanksgiving is the test. If you dont eat Turkey on thanksgiving then you can do it. if the smell of barbaque makes you hungry, then dont bother.
thats the thing about growing up, - your commitments become stronger!





If you are worried about your parents reaction, -m just tell them that you feel strongly and you want to try. and you would really like their help.





everytime you think of the eating meat, remember why you are trying to give up.





give up one item at time, like beef, then chicken, then pork, etc,,,





Take one day at a time. - good luck.
Why do you need to convince them? Either do it or don't. Actions speak louder than words. Talk is cheap.
explain to them how you just explained it in your question a good friend went though the same thing and just told her parents just like that and they were supportive of her. p.s she has been one ever since and that was a few years back,.. just dont listen to the neg. stuff people have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment