Sunday, May 9, 2010

Can I leave my parents Verizon wireless family account and make my own verizon account?

I am about 11 months into my two year contract and have decided to want to pay for my own bill. Can i leave and sign up with a new verizon plan but also be able to upgrade to the voayger beacuse my old Lg V is starting to die.Can I leave my parents Verizon wireless family account and make my own verizon account?
This is a two part question...





Yes, you can leave your parents' account and keep your same phone number. You have to be 18+ years old, and Verizon will run a credit check on you as if you were setting up a whole new account. This is called an Assumption of Liability (AOL). Basically you will take over the remainder of the contract. Since the contract and cell phone number are still in use, you won't have to pay any early termination fees. The AOL needs to be initiated by the primary account holder. The primary (your mom or dad) will call in to customer service and say you want to take over the account. They'll set up a password for you at this time. You'll call in to customer service, give them the password, and they will complete the AOL by running the credit check, reading you the terms of service, etc. The whole process takes about 15 minutes.





You won't be able to upgrade your phone unless your line is currently eligible to upgrade. I would take your phone into a Verizon store. The people in the store would be able to tell you if the line is eligible to upgrade. If the line is eligible to upgrade, you should be able to get a Voyager at a discounted price when it is released. If the line is not eligible to upgrade, they would be able to tell you if the phone is still covered by the warranty. There is a one year manufacturer's warranty on all phones. If you haven't done anything to void the warranty (excessive damage, water damage, etc), then they should be able to replace the phone for you in the store. Also, if your line is not eligible to upgrade, you would need to pay the full retail price for the Voyager. The prices haven't been released yet, but I would imagine the full retail price for one of those would be in the $500-$600 range.





All of these people that say you need to pay an ETF or cancellation fee are wrong.Can I leave my parents Verizon wireless family account and make my own verizon account?
Yes you can, and it probably WON'T cost you anything. I did the same thing with my BFs account, but it was with T-Mobile, so I'm not sure if it works the same. All I had to do was get his permission to release my phone # (tech, it belonged to my BF) and they allowed me to keep it and switch everthing into my name. Sometimes, they will do a credit check and there may be a $100 deposit required, but I didn't have to pay anything and I have so-so credit. There was no fee, and I got a new/free phone.
yes
If you did that, you would have to pay the fee for cutting your contract short, which, if I can rememeber correctly, is $175? Ask your parents to add whatever you want onto your account and ask them to split the bill. My mom splits hers, my sisters, and my verizon account into equal pay every month, and i pay for all of my service.





As for your phone, if you have insurance, it would be easy to switch your phone for a new one of the same kind. Without insurance you would have to buy an entire new phone. Both my mom and sister complained about problems with their phones and both got completely new phones about a year into the contract (i think because they have insurance) so it depends on your plan.
yes but its going to cost you for cancellation fees and your going to have to pay the full price of the new phone because your contract isn't up
verizon has good service but they nickel and dime you go with some one else
your parents will have to pay an early termination fine or continue to pay the line charges. i think Verizon charges $175 for an early termination fee. also, you have to be at least 18 to enter into a contract agreement with a cellular carrier. prepaids may be an exception.
yes but io would probaly cost you or your parents about 200 dollars in cacelation fees..

No comments:

Post a Comment