Sunday, May 9, 2010

How do I tell my parents I want to join the Navy?

I am 17 and have been looking into the military for 10 months. I am fairly sure now that I want to enlist in the U.S. Navy, and my parents said they will support me in whatever I do but I wouldn't bet the barn that they'll follow through. First they tried to talk me out of military, then they tried to show me ROTC stuff. ROTC is cool but I really want to enlist now. I probably come across as a rash teenager but I've been looking into this for 10 months now and talked to a lot of people. I also got a 99 on the asvab so I should qualify for a good job. How can I tell my parents that I really want to go in now and not later?How do I tell my parents I want to join the Navy?
ok here is how you go about breaking this to your parents, i had to help my cousin do it when he finaly decided to join. He came and talked to me to get some of the facts strait that he was not sure on( i was in the Navy at the time) Go and get all the information you can from the recruter, such as what job rate you are looking in to going in to, do the research on this rate to see what all it intells and what type of conversion it it has to the civilian world. this way when you sit down and talk to them you will have all the facts and should be able to answer any question they may have, it is also a good idea that you save any info you get and websites you look the info up on that way if they have a question your not sure about you can look it up and let them know. also it sometimes helps them if they look at the info as well, And the most inportant thing when presenting this to your parents is not to act like a child when doing this, be as mature as possiable when you do it, don't argue with them, if they start to object ( if they do). then calmly liten to what they have to say take a min and think about what there saying then then calmly start talking to them agin. Doin g it this way will show that you are not just going at this as a rash teenager, but have done your home work and research in to what you want to do with your life, and not just jumping in to something, that is a very big life changeing experiance. good luck.How do I tell my parents I want to join the Navy?
One day after dinner sit the entire family down. Now you have to come prepared..so write out a paragraph or a few details on just how joining the Navy will benefit your life and the life of others. Explain to them that this is your passion. Honestly.. I feel proud of you! I think the military is a great career. I think that you will create a solid foundation and obtain skills that will carry you very far in life! Good luck and God Bless you. Remember..always follow your heart!
Sit them both down and explain why you want to join, also emphasize that you've done a lot of research and are definitely serious about it. Explain to them what your goals are and show them how you can reach them by joining, and let them know that you can still do the ROTC thing, it's not going to be out of reach just because you enlist. Show them that you want to explore your options, I think they'll appreciate how much effort you've put into all of this, good luck.
It is noble to want to join in the service of your country. It is foolish to enlist now, with George Bush as Commander-N-Chief. Wait two years and see where the Country is at.
Youv'e got to understand, it's not that your parents are making a decision for you that will affect you for many many years. YOU are making a decision that will take you into independance for the rest of your life.


On your 18th birthday, when you are in the Navy, you will not only be making decisions independently, you will be technically an adult on every level of legality.


Personally, as a Marine, I would have lived a different life if I joined at 18 instead of in my later 20's. I think it would have been very good, no matter what.


My parents are important to me yes, when I tell them how I am proud to serve my country they tell me that they are proud of me. Your parents won't hate you.





Semper Fi
As it has been something that you seemed to have looked in to a for a lenghty period of time, than they should see that its something that you are keen to do and it isn't a rash decision.





As for telling your parents, be upfront and honest as to why you want to enlist and be open to what opinions and suggestions they may have, it will be hard, but in the long run, they may surprise you and be supportive, although do remember that their main concerns are that you're going to be safe and happy.





Also remember that once you do enlist that depending on what rate you will be going in as, I am not sure of the US Navy, but for the Aussie Navy the initial duration of enlistment is either 4 or 6 years, with long deployments at sea, and away from family and loved ones, really think about if you will be able to do this.





My thought is that if this is something that you really dream to do, there is nothing really stopping you, and go for, who knows, you may end up loving what you will end up doing for the Navy
I have told my parents how I am planning on joining the Marines after I graduate from college. They both think that my knowledge would be better used somewhere else, but I can't think of a better job for myself.





They may seem skeptical at first, but they should eventually open up.








Also, don't ignore the ROTC/NROTC option. I know you want to enlist now, but what if after your service is up, you decide that you don't want to continue being in the Navy? You would have to go back to college if you wanted to have a successful career.





NRTOC would train you while you are in college, they would also pay for your education (if needed) as well as give you a stipend each month.





There are many options out there, so think them all through carefully.
Tell them the truth, that is the only thing you can do. I would also talk to them about how it can give you a good job and training for later use, but they love you and worry about you so think about how they may feel about it. If it is what you really want then do it.You seem to have done a lot of looking up the information about it they just don't want to see anything bad happen to you that's all. Good luck you are going to need it
Just tell them that you have given it alot of thought and you are sure this is what you want to do.





I am sure they are concerned about you having to go to war, with the current situation our country is in. I have a daughter who is 16 and wants to join the military. I am strongly against the idea myself, so I can understand how your parents feel. You would just have to be a parent to understand why we feel that way.





Good Luck to you - whatever you do.
tell them you want to serve the country
Mom, Dad..I want to join the navy. It sometimes comes down to that. I'm a parent but I wouldn't try to stop my children from doing what they want to do providing that it wasn't illegal or immoral.





They are probably, among other things, concerned about you getting a good education. If you can convince them that the Navy can provide one then you are well on the way to joining with their blessings.





Also keep in mind that America is at war and they are probably 'very' concerned about your safety. At 17 you may feel 'invincible', but your not and your parents know it.





Find out what their concerns are and try to address them. Just saying, ';its my life and I'll do what I want.'; is not always the best way to go.





If you can't come up with a good argument, you probably not ready to go
Just tell them. The Navy does not take boys and turn them into men like the other services do. The Navy takes men who know what they want. Do your own research and talk to your recruiter too find out what you qualify for. Get your HS Diploma before you go in.
im fifty years old and a vietnam era navy vet.dont join that way you dont have to tell them nothing,and you can avoid being brainwashed!


peace and love, kappy
Wow. It sounds like you have a bright future. You need to have your recruiter speak to them. Having someone answer their questions should really ease their mind.





Btw, the Navy is the safest branch to be in. They don't really fight so much as bring supplies, etc. You certainly aren't going to Iraq.
Tell them that you respect them but that you are almost an adult now and can make your own decisions. Just be prepared to follow through on your commitments and the consequences of your actions. Tell them you've done your research and you know what you want in life and to trust you.
the more information you have, and the more vets, sailors, soldiers that you talk to and get info from the better. once you know the positve and negative, the consequences and opportunities - they are much more likely to accept your decision





talk to active duty soldiers, not a recruiter, if you want real info
It's a plan, and not a bad one. If this is what you are passionate about, I think they will support you. Besides, once you sign and leave for basic, it's out of their control





Having said that, ROTC is really a much better plan. If you don't do it, I promise you will eventually regret it. Officers make more money and serve as the equivalent of managers, while enlisted does more physical labor for less money. Both are incredibly important and necessary, but not everyone has the option of ROTC. If you do, you should really consider taking it.
If it's what you want to do, enlist and go. I enlisted in the army when I was 18 and enjoyed it, because it's what I wanted to do as well. Keep in mind too that alot of people that served in WWI, WWII, etc weren't much older than you are, so don't let anyone tell you that you are being rash for wanting to serve in the military. Good luck!
Be honest with them and explain to them your reasoning for wanting to enlist.





The last thing you want to do is turn it into an arguing match.


Show them you're mature enough to make this decision.





Just make sure you are enlisting for the right reasons.





Don't enlist just to be a gung ho sailor. Also like others have said,


don't believe everything the recruiters tell you. Talk to Active Duty sailors or Reservists to get the truth.





I'm a Veteran and Military brat. I was Air Force Enlisted and grew up a child of a Marine. So if you have any questions or need any advice, just email me.
its your life. do with it what you want. if you like to be controlled join the military. if you like your freedom stay away.
with ur mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment